The South Korean weight loss diet has proven to be highly effective for those looking to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Let’s explore some of the reasons why, and what you need to know if you’re interested in giving it a try.
Navigate To Content
What makes the South Korean diet effective?
Unlike most diets, the South Korean weight loss diet is not only focused on weight loss. Instead, it focuses on eating healthy and living a happy life. The government has been promoting a “well-being” lifestyle, one that involves eating healthier food and being more active.
The South Korean weight loss diet is fairly new – after World War II, there was a bigger focus on weight loss instead of just eating healthy. People do not have a variety of options when it comes to fast food, so most people take the time to make a homemade meal.
Kimchi is a staple dish in South Korean cuisine, as it is healthy and versatile! It can be made from many vegetables such as radishes, cucumbers, cabbage, etc. You can eat kimchi with rice or noodles or use it as an ingredient for other dishes. One of the most popular kimchi dishes is budae jjigae, which is a Korean army stew.
The South Korean weight loss diet plan
Incorporating the ROK food pyramid is one of the best ways to get started on a healthy lifestyle change. Let’s explore the features of this food system, and how you can use it to make your weight loss goals a reality.
ROK Food Pyramid: The ROK Food Pyramid is the South Korean weight loss diet plan. The food pyramid consists of five food groups: grains, vegetables, fruits, dairy/proteins, and fats.
The South Korean diet emphasizes the importance of five food groups to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Grains: rice, bread, noodles, etc. The ROK Food pyramid recommends at least two servings of carbohydrates per day. One serving is equivalent to 200 grams or about half a cup cooked.
Vegetables: Some vegetables are not popular in South Korea, but you must know what types to look for. For example, there is a vegetable called “gosari” (고사리) which looks like dried ferns – the type of vegetables often seen in pictures of people living in old-fashioned homes. It is very nutritious and you can make many dishes using it.
Fruits: Anything from pineapples to apples, oranges, grapes, etc. The ROK Food pyramid encourages two servings of high sugar fruits like these per day.
Proteins/Dairy (milk or milk products): at least three servings of this group are recommended per day. Nuts, eggs, and tofu are often found in South Korean dishes.
Fats: the ROK Food pyramid recommends you eat anything from meat or fish at least once a day. You can also use oil to cook your food as long as you do not over-use it.
How does ROK Food Pyramid work?
The ROK Food Pyramid is an easy way to follow healthy eating, however, it may not be the best for everyone.
• If you don’t like South Korean food, then this plan may not work for you. You must explore other types of diets that fit your taste and lifestyle.
• This is a low-carbohydrate diet – it is NOT RECOMMENDED if you’re diabetic or pre-diabetic. With all of the rice and other carbs in South Korean food, you may be at risk of developing insulin resistance.
– Nutritious diet
– Easy to follow
– Keeps you healthy and full of energy
– Helps you lose weight
– Prevents obesity
– Prevents cardiovascular disease
– Prevents cancer
– A fun, happy lifestyle with friends and family
– Gives you a strong sense of belonging and community
– Helps you stay faithful to the ROK faith (Protestantism)
Can the Korean weight loss diet help you lose weight?
If you’re not sure if the Korean weight loss diet will help you lose weight, then this post is just for you!
The traditional Korean diet is centered around rice and other grains. It’s a low-carb diet, so if you’re diabetic or pre-diabetic then this might not be the best choice. If you have a lot of carbohydrates- rice and other grains in your food- then you may develop insulin resistance.
Sticking with your diet over time
One of the hardest parts about starting a new diet is keeping it going. Here are a few tips to help you stick with the program:
• Reward yourself for following the diet for a week, two weeks, etc. Buy something special that you’ve been wanting or have someone hug you!
• Change your goal from “lose weight” to “eat healthily”. Lots of people find that if they just keep doing what they’re doing then the weight will come off on its own. Plus, it’s less pressure and much easier to maintain!
• Watch what you eat before bed. If you eat healthier during the day and then indulge in unhealthy snacks like pizza or ice cream before bed, then when are you going to start losing weight?
• Don’t be afraid to be social. Party invitations are one of the toughest hurdles in sticking with your diet. Instead of coming up with excuses for why you can’t make it out, maybe there’s a way that you can go out without ruining your progress.
• Keep taking the stairs and walking in between classes. When you’re stressed or just thinking about food, it’s good to take a moment to relax and refocus on your goal.
Making time for exercise is important when following this diet! Instead of responding with “I don’t have time,” try setting aside 15 minutes each day to hike up the stairs instead of taking the elevator.
Even if you think that “staying active” doesn’t count as exercise, it’s extremely beneficial to your health! Stay healthy and happy by exploring what works for you. If this diet doesn’t suit you, then try another one or create your own! The most important thing is that you’re doing what makes you happy. Happy is healthy!
I’ll give you some tips on where to buy Korean products in the US.
• The best place to purchase food products is at Asian supermarkets. You can find many of the foods that are common for Koreans, such as various seaweeds, tofu, rice cakes, kimchi, and more. These often come in bulk packs, which are cheaper than buying these items individually.
• You can also buy Korean snacks online from places like Amazon or eBay. My favorite place to buy them is at a manufacturer’s website because they often have free shipping deals for orders over $35.
• You can also buy Korean groceries directly from South Korea at websites like Avecko, 11st, etc. This option is suitable for those who want to try our lotions or cosmetics.